7. 4. 07.
Dear and honored colleague,
I choose a different paper (1), because I want to talk to you without constraints. Your trip was very nice and action worthy of gratitude; I would want to repeat writing several things I have confessed orally, Above all, your person has filled me with confidence in the future, I know now that I am like any other replaceable, and I do not want no other and better successor for you to complete my work, as I met you. I'm sure you will not let the work plan, because you have looked too deeply and found yourself how our things are striking, how far and how they lead, truly, they are beautiful.
I think you certainly make your visit to Zurich, where I can get it done by your demonstration of the famous dem. praecox (2), but it will probably not soon. At the moment I'm also bothered by the unthinned report to your supervisor. After his last defense in Munich medical weekly (3), I thought this to be confident, and you bring me back a swing very serious negative share, you probably understand, like me, as a defense against conviction brought you here. How the "complex personal" outweighs any work purely logical mind!
Regarding the dem. praecox, I would have a pro-posal to you. After your departure, I noticed some speculation on the topic that we discussed, and I'll gladly defer, if it does not bother you in two ways to accept. Firstly, because you might fall on the same, qu'acccepter secondly because you may be painful as such. I must say that I want to form economy very respectable sort of intellectual communism, in which we do not control what is anxiously gave and we received. Answer me with a franchise record if you want, or prefer not, listen to these things, you should not overestimate the value of this notice because.
I salute, reasons for their, your efforts to save other acidic taste from the moment they bite into the apple, but I do not think it will be successful (4). Even if we call the unconscious "psychoid", it is nevertheless the unconscious, and if we do not call in sexuality that grows wider 'libido', it nevertheless libido, and in everything we do arise we return to what we wanted to divert attention by name. We can not save ourselves resistance, why not rather the cause immediately? The attack is the best defense, I think. Perhaps you underestimate the intensity of this resistance when you try to prevent them by small concessions. What we demand is nothing other than to deny the sexual instinct. Recognize the so-.
Rank will certainly unlikely. He writes almost as auto-erotic, teaching him the ways are unfortunately totally lacking. More, as you notice, it has not yet overcome the influence of the spiritual food he had hitherto and spreads in handling abstractions that I can enter in any place. Yet its independence vis-à-vis me is bigger than it looks in; it is a mind endowed, very young, and, This is particularly honorable saw his youth, perfectly hon-Nete. We will of course expect more things to your way of putting it.
That does not make me a sense of honesty, is the work (5) de Bezzola, he sent me recently, very impersonally and without doubt simply by "piety". Remarks assistants are from a personal cowardice promising. It seems treacherous silence that psychosynthesis is the same as psychoanalysis. Do we not seek the repressed analysis pieces for the sole purpose of assembling? The essential difference, that it does not use the things that come to mind, but only the sensations, it simply derives from work only on traumatic hysteria; in other cases the material does not exist. Indeed, from my knowledge of the structure of a neurosis, it is usually quite impossible to solve the therapeutic task by simply unveiling of traumatic scenes. This is where Breuer (6) and I were twelve years ago and has learned nothing since.
For "piety" he deserves a good slap, but we have better things to do.
In the course of this month you will receive two more small publications Me, whose Materials (7), that should make you want to make soon, I hope, the "collection(8) "Contribution can attract a larger circle. Thank you very much for the approval of Riklin. Hopefully his work will meet the specific requirements. I put directly in contact with him through the Materials.
At Easter I was Kahlbaum in Görlitz (9) and I saw there a very instructive case, I would also like to tell you about, if the first letter from your present home did not exceed any measure already.
My wife (10) was very pleased to receive the letter from your wife. It is the host, and not the guest, must thank the honor and pleasure. Unfortunately she can not respond in time, because she gained during a Stomakake, * Moreover, mild iridocyclitis. His condition is satisfactory.
I am delighted with your response, Your cordially dedicated
1. Stationery larger format, 16,5 X 20 cm, no header.
2. See if the seamstress B. St. in G.W., 3, § 198 sq.
3. In an account of the Collection of small fonts for neuroses 1893-19o6 in the Weekly, flight. LIFE, No. 11, 1907.
4. This paragraph is cited by Jones, II, 486.
5. "To analyze psychotraumatic Symptoms» [Contribution to the analysis of symptoms psychotraumatic], Journal fiür psychology and neurology, VIII, 1906-1907. Cf. Jung reports [G.W., 18].
6. Josef Breuer (1842-1925), Austrian physician and physiologist, with Freud is the author of Studies on Hysteria, Vienna, 1895. Ed. franç., Paris, P.U.F., 1956. Breuer, ami paternal a mentor you jeune Freud, separated from him later.
7. See 24 J, n. 5; for the other publication, see 23 F, n. 2.
8. The Journals in applied psychology (including works by various authors), Freud edited from 1907. This correspondence is often referred to as the "collection". The first two installments, published by Hugo Heller, were tested on the Materials of Freud, cf. 24 J, n. 5, and work on tales Riklin, cf. 17 J, n. 3; from the third installment - The content of the psychosis de Jung, - The publication is made in the editor Franz Deuticke, cf. 82 F, n. 4- For a list of titles until 1913, see Appendix 5.
9. The institute "Dr Kahlbaum Medical Pädagogium for juvenile nervous disorders », Karl Ludwig Kahlbaum par fondé (1828-1899), then headed by his son Siegfried. K. The. Kahlbaum was a renowned psychiatrist; he introduced the concept of "paranoia". The copy owned by Freud's book Kahlbaum, The grouping of the mental illness and the classification of mental disorders [The classification of mental illnesses and classification of disorders of the psyche], Danzig 1863, se trouve conservé au Sigmund Freud Memorial Room à New York City, cf. 193 F, n. 4, and includes many marginal annotations, Freud did when he was a young doctor. Voir Ernest Harms, « A Fragment of Freud’s Library » [ A fragment library Freud ], Psychoanalytic Quarterly, flight. XL, No. 3, July 1971
10. Martha Freud, née Bernays ( 1861-1 951 ).
* Stomach illness? Difficult to read or play on words. (N.d.T.).