First some communications "business" : Dr Stein1 Budapest and another neurologist, Dr Ferenczi 2, Once you want to visit Vienna and asked me to ask you when you visit would be the most convenient. Dr Stein is a very suitable, a good intel-ligence, who worked experimentally with me. There is still quite a beginner in the art, but remarkably quickly and understood it exercises effective. I think the best thing will put you directly in touch with him (Dr Stein, Semmelweis street 11, Budapest).
Muthmann was assistant to the insane asylum Basel. I unfortunately never had a personal relationship with him. I immediately ordered his book. It seems, tells me Bleuler, there was a lot of fun in a passage (corrected), which is highly significant P manly courager Wolff (3). Muthmann is also not Swiss, but may have learned what Switzerland spine.
The Surgeon General Bolte (4) Bremen, who recently sided with you, and whose work will appear in the Journal of General Psychiatry, Bremen is a, AFAIK; it is therefore a free city of the empire. The environment is apparently much.
In the same letter I send you the work of one of my students, that you may be interested in. Indeed, I believe that the basic ideas of this work is to develop a science leave statistical complexes.
Thanks to your kind sending I saw with heartfelt joy that your Psychopathology of everyday life sees its second edition. It's good that you have greatly expanded the text; more there Sample, better. I hope that soon you will also produce a new edition of the’ Interpretation of dreams (5), as it sometimes seems to me that your prophecy comes true, to know that you have drilled the next ten years. This already moving in different directions : you probably received the work'Otto Gross 6; I must say that there, I can not well allow me- suade you need more or less just be the stonemason who works unfinished dome system Wernicke 7. It is good, however, be demonstrated all lines that converge toward you. Gross work still contains many strange things, although in the end he has an excellent understanding. I am very eager to hear what you say.
What are your destiny Materials? Do you have new reports?
It may interest you to know that my patient (the. pr.) with the transfer of the brother had suddenly, last-larly, thoughts megalomaniac : she claims to have lived itself the content of the Sexual question 8 Forel, stands for parent of many distinguished people, doctors suspect all kinds of sex, wants EPU-one service assistant doctors, another (married doctor) have knocked up a patient, some girl Lüders, just a girl Skudler, Should also divorce his wife. (We call Bitch a person who has a bad sexual reputation!) I do not know anything more detailed. The doctor wants to marry her door by chance the same name as (his brother!)
My travel experiences are poor. I talked to Janet and am very disappointed. He did that quite primitive knowledge of dem. pr. The latest things, you included, it does nothing. He is buried in his drawings, and, by the bye, it is only intelligence, but not a personality, conversationalist and a flat type of bourgeois poor. A very bad joke : the splendor of treatment in isolation Dejerine (9) the Salpêtrière. All this gave me a feeling unspeakably childish, and not less puerile smoke heights which fogs every head in such a clinical. These people are fifty years behind! It took me about nerves, so I gave in London, where there is much less to seek. I am however devoted to the Loire castles. There is therefore no question of Parisian complex. Unfortunately my time is still taken. Three candidates who want to work with me I have been proposed, it is extremely international : one of Switzerland, one of Budapest and Boston. Germany will be misrepresented. The issue of a publication Archives becomes more urgent in these conditions. I want to start looking at things more closely. The question of the editor will probably difficulties. But before undertaking anything definitive in this direction, I have my rake IIand volume Diagnostic studies of association; it cost me a lot of work; for student work to give more than own work.
Binswanger jun. now working psychoanalytically in Jena. Hopefully he will leave lasting traces. His uncle would visit my. Unfortunately I do not find much time, useful if it can be.
Receive the best greetings from your always devoted
1. Philippe (Philippines) Stein (1867-19×8), Hungarian psychiatrist, formed in Vienna. The participates en 1906-1907 experiences in association Burg- Hölzli, after knowledge of Bleuler at the International Congress of the anti-alcoholism in Budapest 19öS. Founder of the temperance movement in Hungary. He abandoned psychoanalysis 1913 and worked as a neurologist since hospital workers of Budapest.
2. Sandor Ferenczi (1873-1933), originally Fraenkel, Hungarian neurologist and psychoanalyst, later friend and colleague of Freud. Member of the "Committee" (see the instruction after 321 J). The bases en 1913 the Association of Hungarian psychoanalysis.
3. Gustav Wolff (1865-1941), professor of psychiatry in Basel, Defending néovitalisme and teleology.
4. Richard Bolte, «Association experiments as a diagnostic tool» [Tests of association as auxiliary diagnosis], General journal of psychiatry and psycho-forensic medicine, flight. LXIV, 1907; cf. reports of Jung G.W., 18.
5. The Interpretation of Dreams. Ed. original : The Interpretation of Dreams, Leipzig et Vienne, 1900. The French edition referenced in this volume is the translation I. Meyerson, new edition revised and augmented by D. Berger, Paris, P.U.F., 1967
6. Otto Gross (1877-1919). Studied medicine in Graz, assistant then Kraepelin in Munich. Jung understood his book here The Freudian Ideoge- nitätsmoment and its importance in the manic-depressive psychosis Kraepelin [The Freudian ideogenite and its significance in Kraepelin's manic-depressive alienation] Leipzig, 1907, which deals with the clinical cases studied in Munich. - Jung devotes a chapter of his Psychological Types [ed. orig., 1921) Gross typological ideas expressed in his two books The cerebral function secondary [Secondary brain function], Leipzig 1902, and About psychopathic inferiority [The inferiority authorities psychopathological], Vienna and Leipzig, 1909. Sur Otto Gross, First vegetarian and teetotaler, then addict and died in misery, see Frieda Lawrence, The Memoirs and Correspondance, ed. E.W. Tedlock jr., London, 1961 (Frieda Weekly, née von Richthofen, later wife D.H. Lawrence, indeed had an affair with him during his time in Munich; it appears in his memoirs under the name Octavio) ; Leonhard Frank, Links, where the heart is [Left, where the heart is], 1952, where iigure under the name of Dr. Otto Kreuz; Robert Lucas, Frieda von Richthofen, Munich, 1972; Martin Green, The Von Richthofen Sisters, New York, 1974.
7. Carl Wernicke (1848-1905), professor of psychiatry at Berlin, Breslau et hall. He found the speech center in the brain. He is the author of a seminal book on aphasia : The aphasic symptom- complex ; A psychological study on an anatomical basis, [Aphasic syndrome; a psychological study based on anatomy], Breslau, 1874.
8. Question sexual (ed. orig. Munich, 19o5).
9. Joseph Dejerine(1849–1917), Swiss neurologist, then director of the Salpêtrière in Paris.