Burghölzli Zurich, 28. X. 07.
I immediately turned into practice, successfully, your advice (1) in the case of obsessional neurosis. Be cordially thanked by.
The case Naecke (2) is extraordinarily fun. I think the rest N[aecke] would hardly be worth. This is an eccentric, that wave through the fields of neurology, of psychiatry and psychology, and you probably already have encountered a disturbing number of times during your readings. He recently wrote a monograph "historic" quite strange, completely twisted, the calf cramp. Chap. first : cramp in the calf of the Egyptians. Chap. II : among the Assyrians, etc. He could not refrain from also put his two cents in the great discussion about Freud does not seem surprising. I do not know the critical, because I do not have l'Archiv Gross (3).
Your last two letters contain references to my laziness when it comes to writing. I owe you, I agree, some explanations about it. One of the causes must be sought in my workload, which allows me to barely breath, even at night; However, in the other emotional things, where you found the term super "complex self-preservation". You know that complex I has already played more than one round, not least in my The. praecox. I (!) honestly (!) (4) efforts in this direction, but the evil spirit that comes to manifest in my writing, at other times still will not let me write. In fact - that I must reluctantly admit - I admire your boundless as a man and as a researcher, and I consciously do not jealous; this is not where we get the complex self-preservation, but it is that my veneration for you has the character of a passionate enthusiasm "religious", that, although it causes me no other inconvenience, however repulsive and ridiculous to me because of its compelling erotic sounding. This abominable feeling comes from being the boy I succumbed to the attack of a gay man I had previously revered. In Vienna the remarks already ladies ("Finally, only * », etc.) prompted my disgust, but the thing that has become clear to me that time.
This feeling so, I'm still not quite rid, bothers me greatly. It is also evident in that I practically reluctance in dealing with colleagues who transfer heavily on me, when it became clear psychologically. I fear therefore your confidence. I am also the same reaction from you when I speak of my privacies. This is why I avoid these things as much as possible, car, my feeling at least, they give any attendance, after some time, sentimental and banal character or exhibitionist, like in my head, whose duty is offensive.
I think you owe this explanation. I did not say willingly.
Receive the most cordial greetings from your devoted entirely
1. After missing two letters of Freud 19 September; it was probably in one of them comment on the case described by Jung. See also 3and paragraph of this letter.
2. Paul neck (1851-1913), German psychiatrist born in Russia, director of an insane asylum in Colditz in Saxony. Prolific author, he is said to have first used the term "narcissism". Cf. Freud, G.W. X, p. 138. The publia dès 1901 a series of articles on the calf cramps, eg. "The occurrence of leg cramps in eastern areas in ancient and modern times" [The occurrence of calf cramps in the East in ancient and modern times], Neurological Zen tralblatt, flight. XXVI, 1907, p. 792 sq. Que la critique est sans doute mentionne Jung «About contrast dreams and specifically sexual contrast dreams» [On dreams contrasting, especially contrasting sexual dreams], Archives of Criminal Anthropology and Criminology, flight. XXIV No. 1-2, June 1906; Nacke criticizes the theory of dreams Freud and Jung observes that too left influenced by Freud. In the same issue are reports on negative Nacke Three trials Freud and "Diagnostic psychological states that" Jung.
3. the'Archives of Kriminalanlhropologie and criminology was founded, edited by Hanns Gross and (1847-1915), the père of Otto Gross (on the latter see 33 J, n. 6) ; Hanns Gross was a professor of criminology at Prague and Graz and the founder of the criminological psychology.
4. Autograph : «Redeh» (nonsensical), deleted and replaced several times " (!) honest (!) » [honestly],
* In French in the text. (N.d.T.)