INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MEDICAL PSYCHOANALYSIS Edited by Professor Dr Sigm. Freud editors : Dr. S. Ferenczi, Budapest, VII. Elisabethring 54/ Dr. Otto Rank, Vienna IX / 4, Simondenkgasse 8 Verlag Hugo Heller & C °, Vienna, I. Farmers Market N ° 3 Subscription Price : year-round (6 Notebooks, 36-40 Bow) K 21.60 = Mk. 18.
Budapest, the 4 June 1914
I read with delight Narcissism. For a long time I have not had as much fun reading. But I must also admit that, years, I can not really read anything other than your writing – and you can take this franchise as a sign of inner freedom, uninhibited, which begins to develop in me. Everything else, at bottom, 'm bored; you have spoiled us by giving us things to read too beautiful and strong, after which nothing else has taste. It is impossible to meet all the passages that I liked, I therefore renounce. More, I conform to your request, I note a few passages which we, firstly, together and discussed, other, are outlined in some of my published articles. Sure, not credit me if you feel that these things have emerged that because of me. Our work, it is true, must be designated as "collective"; each of us must give up a share of satisfaction of his ambition.
1) J’attire, for example, your attention to the paths of thought in "the work of introjection" (Yearbook I, 2), where the state of love is described as inclusion of objects in the field of interest libido, originally auto-erotic. This may well reflect the fumes of narcissism '. I described neurosis as an exaggeration of this process 2.
Page 430 - Paragraph 2 – I come from the separation between the self and the outer world of conflicts in the psychic life, originally, was homogeneous (by displacement limits ).
2) In "stages of developing a sense of reality", I think I have, the first, designated events infantile omnipotence (magic)4.
3) The reference to the idealization of the Criminal5 just me, I believe that.
On this occasion, I think I should draw your attention to the fact that it is perhaps not superfluous, about "emanations of the libido", expressly stated that you mean intrapsychic process, that is to say movement of the libido of the representation of the real perception of an object, otherwise we end up believing that you mean : a "radiation" on the object itself.
I can not help but pick up in the following formula your wonderful distinction between sublimation and idealization 6 :
That idealizes, sublime functionally.
That sublime, works perfectly.
- "We are as the representation of a libidinal investment of the self originated ; later, part is assigned to objects, but, fundamentally, investment and I still behaves towards investment body as the object of a animalcule protoplasmic pseudopodia towards it issued. (…) Only we hit the emanations of this libido, investment object that may be issued and removed again ", Freud (1914c), On Narcissism, pp. 81-105, citation : p. 83.
- "The ego of the neurotic is pathologically dilated" (1909, 67), "Introjection and transfer", Psychanalyse I, p. 100.
- Ibid., Psychoanalysis, I, p. 101.
- "The development of a sense of reality and its stages" (1913, 111), Psychoanalysis, II, pp. 51- 65. Quoted by Freud, in the corresponding paragraph of Article (1914c), On Narcissism, p. 83.
- "Even the great criminal and comedian command our interest, poetry when we represent, by narcissism so they know show taking away from them all that I would fall " (Freud, 1914c), ibid., pp. 94-95.
- "Sublimation is a process that concerns object-libido and consists in that the pulse moves to another goal, away from the sexual satisfaction… Idealization is a process that concerns the object and where it is magnified and exalted psychically, without its nature is changed. (…) We must keep the two concepts separate from each other ", ibid., pp. 98-99.