INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MEDICAL PSYCHOANALYSIS Edited by Professor Dr Sigm. Freud editors: Dr. S. Ferenczi, Budapest, VII. Elisabethring 54/ Dr. Otto Rank, Vienna IX / 4, Simondenkgasse 8 Verlag Hugo Heller & C °, Vienna, I. Farmers Market N ° 3 Subscription Price : year-round (6 Notebooks, 36-40 Bow) K 21.60 = Mk. 18.
Budapest, the 19 June 1914
Regarding the wish - very justified - to include in the report the important relationship between’ ambivalence of the wild and neurotics (1), I already made the necessary. On the question of the presi-dential letter 2, I joined the views of Rank and Sachs. - I load, naturally, the task of presenting a report to Congress on the theme of "A.[ssociation] P.[sychanalytique] I.[nternational] », but es-father that I will not come here; I wrote to Abraham in this direction. – Abraham a letter addressed to me, we noted (à la magazine) the work of Morton Prince, Haberlin et bloomer 3 would not have appeared without the development of writing. I believe, me too, that we should not save the editorial red pencil. Otherwise, we arrive again being cited as "psychoanalyst" against analysis, as a collaborator Beaurain (Yet which I brought contradiction) 4. (See the little book on dream collection Löwenfeld 5).
-I just browse the book Jelgersma 6; for the most part, it's good enough and sensible; he could dispense with its elegant reserve. - I recently wrote a small work on neuroses back age 7, with hinge points to onanism, the "neurasthenia" and - mixing-colie! I'll send it to you; please read indulgence, that is to say : do not reject immediately, if you do not seem fair. Anyway, write me your opinion on this topic. This is my first reaction to your Narcissism. - Attached is a kind letter of Putnam. I will answer him just as friendly8. - Abraham writes that he wants to come Seis 9. What can you me say about this trip? Should I again be on your back throughout the month of August? - Or do you want, for once, relax without me and without psychoanalytic discussions?
Apart from this, nothing to write. - Greetings from Mrs. G., who stay here10 a great pleasure. – Avec Varjas, caution should be exercised.
1. Ferenczi's paper on the "progress of the psychoanalytic theory of neurosis"(1914, 148), Psychoanalysis, II, pp. 152-162, for the Jahrbuch.
2. See 270 F and notes 6, as 473 Iron and notes 2.
3. Morton Prince, "Psychopathology of a case of phobia" (Psychopathology of a case of phobia), Magazine, 1913, 1, pp. 533-546; Paul Häberlin, "Psychoanalysis and Education" (Psychoanalysis and education), Magazine, 1914, 2, 213-222; Hans bloomer: "On the theory of inversion" (About the theory of inversion), ibid., pp. 223-243 et «The so-called natural instinct employment» (The drive occupancy called natural), ibid., pp. 29 sqq.
4. See 413 Iron and notes 7 and 8.
5. Article unidentified Grenzfragen of Nerven- and mental life (Problems limits of nervous and psychic life), Lowenfeld et Kurella Ed.
6. See 456 F, note 1.
7. "To understand the psychoneuroses of life" (Posthumous writings, 303), Psychanalyse, III, pp. 150-155 de Ferenczi, is dated 1921 in Complete Works of Sandor Ferenczi ; however, by comparing the text with the summary contained in this letter, one might think that this is the article mentioned here.
8. Putnam's letter has not been found. In its response 19 June, Ferenczi writes, especially, referring to the resignation of Jung : "Not only I am pleased that you are personally on our side in this internal crisis quite useless and ugly of the International Association, but it is also extremely important for the cause of psychoanalysis in the United States. The process must not be split artificially constrained; Science should be avoided compromise. »Hale, Putnam, p. 351.
9. In the Beginning, Freud had called Abraham to "spend the whole summer together" (letter 18 VII 1914, Freud-Abraham Correspondance, p. 188). For summer, "Freud had planned to go to Karlsbad cure his intestines, from 12 July, to go then Seis, in the southern Dolomites [at the time, South Tyrol] to spend their holidays themselves, before attending the Congress of Psychoanalysis qu'organisait Abraham, and that was the start 20 September in Dresden. Congress once completed, Freud, after a conference at the University of Leiden 24 September, expect his daughter [Anna] then in England and both would regain Austria " (Jones, II, p, 183).
10. Au mariage de Loe Kann a Herbert Jones (see 454 F, note 4).